– Choose the large slices that contain spaced ribs as this corresponds to the front part (= the softest) of a well-developed salmon.
– Smoked salmon slices should have a uniform and shiny color and should not present any brown spots.
– Pre-packed smoked salmon slices should always be displayed on refrigerated shelves with a temperature of 0 to 4 °C as a maximum.
– Don’t buy smoked salmon slices when their package is not well sealed and shows internal droplets as this is a sign of poor preservation.
– Finally, each 100 grams of smoked salmon contains 178 calories. Moreover, don’t forget to check carefully the expiration date before you buy the product.
Important tip: It is advisable to consume smoked salmon slices with moderation due to their content of potentially carcinogenic substances originating from the smoking process. Therefore, to alleviate such a really harmful health effect, completely remove and never consume all the peripheral parts of salmon, usually those that are of a darker color and that are hard. These are the parts that are most exposed to the smoking process.